I have a one year rental agreement that becomes a month to…

Customer Question
I have a one year...
I have a one year rental agreement that becomes a month to month agreement beginning at the end of July. I have informed the landlord that we would like to terminate the lease in September, but since it is harder for him to find new tenants in September than in July, he has requested that we move out in July, when the original terms of our lease expire. Is this legal for him to do? Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Justice4U, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney
Yes, the landlord can take this action. The first step is to read the lease and make sure the landlord is complying with any notice provisions for non-renewal. Some leases require 60 days notice. Assuming that only one month's notice, or less, is required the landlord can decline to renew the lease.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney
If I choose not to end the lease, can my landlord force me to sign another yearly contract by threatening to end the lease if I do not (rather than having it become a monthly lease as described in our contract)?
Essentially, the landlord can take this action. A month-to-month lease can be terminate with a short notice. The landlord can end that month-to-month lease if you refuse to sign a longer commitment.

Thank you