I need to know what happens if I let my home go into foreclosure…

Customer Question
I need to know what...
I need to know what happens if I let my home go into foreclosure at tax time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What will happen is that eventually, they will foreclose the property and sell it at auction. They may also go after you for deficiency - the difference between their auction sale and they money they would have made from you. You generally have three options.NEGOTIATIONContact them and explain that you have received an “x” amount of funds and that you would like to propose a settlement. Usually starting like that will get their attention.
Also you might mention that you are attempting to clear up all of your debts in order to avoid being forced to file bankruptcy. These are usually very good key phrases.
The end of the month is also the best time to get best deals, so let them know that you can settle before end of month (also a good key phrase).CREDIT COUNSELING / DEBT CONSOLIDATION
This is a free service offered by a non-profit that will negotiate with creditors to establish a debt management plan (DMP) for you. The DMP often includes lesser payments per month and maybe even an overall lesser debt. While many promise 50% cut, a cut of 10% to 20% is more likely.This is a good option, but your credit will reflect it, and your credit might suffer a little because of it.BANKRUPTCYWiping the slate clean and getting to keep a lot of your stuff (house, car, jewelry, thousands in cash, etc, etc – basically a LOT) is a good plan for many who just are FED UP, and it might work for you if you really feel you will never ever pay the debt off. Your credit will be down in the dumps for seven years, but then you will emerge reborn. You generally have two options available for personal bankruptcy:-Chapter 7, which basic liquidation of many assets and the quickest; and-Chapter 13, if you have a steady income, it allows non-liquidation and the Court sets up a a plan to repay all or part of what you owe.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”