Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am currently involved in a discrimination suit. I retained

Customer Question

I am currently involved in a discrimination suit. I retained a lawyer who represented me at my unemployment hearing as well as the fact-finding conference. I recently learned that the Board of Unemployment compensation ruled against me and disqualified me for benefits (after I have been receiving benefits for 5 months). I asked my lawyer to assist me with appealing to the Commonwealth Court of PA. She informed me that she does not handle this stage of the hearing. Now I'm stuck. I need representation for my unemployment appeal yet my current lawyer will not assist me. She was more concerned in letting me know that the unemployment has no bearing on the discrimination aspect. That may be, but I have to focus on unemployment. Do I "fire" my lawyer and find someone who will handle both aspects of my case? I have been unhappy with my lawyer since she does not respond to my emails nor does she give me timely notices of changes in meeting dates/continuances. I must appeal by July 7 and am worried that I don't have a plan in place. What can I do?? P.S. the unemployment and discrimination are under one and same employer.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

I am currently involved in a discrimination suit. I retained a lawyer who represented me at my unemployment hearing as well as the fact-finding conference. I recently learned that the Board of Unemployment compensation ruled against me and disqualified me for benefits (after I have been receiving benefits for 5 months). I asked my lawyer to assist me with appealing to the Commonwealth Court of PA. She informed me that she does not handle this stage of the hearing. Now I'm stuck. I need representation for my unemployment appeal yet my current lawyer will not assist me. She was more concerned in letting me know that the unemployment has no bearing on the discrimination aspect. That may be, but I have to focus on unemployment. Do I "fire" my lawyer and find someone who will handle both aspects of my case? I have been unhappy with my lawyer since she does not respond to my emails nor does she give me timely notices of changes in meeting dates/continuances. I must appeal by July 7 and am worried that I don't have a plan in place. What can I do?? P.S. the unemployment and discrimination are under one and same employer

Response: If you are not comfortable with your current attorney, then it would be in your interest to find another attorney that would handle both the unemployment appeal and the discrimination case for you. However, you may not be able to get the same attorney to handle both cases because as like your current attorney, the new attorney for unemployment appeal may not handle discrimination cases or a discrimination attorney may not handle unemployment appeals. You would need to contact several attorneys to see the ones that can handle both cases.

Click on the links below to find local employment attorneys:

http://www.lawyers.com

http://www.justia.com

http://www.attorneypages.com