My husband has a court date for a credit card lawsuit. $2122…

Customer Question
My husband has a court...
My husband has a court date for a credit card lawsuit.

$2122 +statutory interest+reasonable attorney fees+discretionary costs+costs

What are my chances of winning if he shows up?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
If they can prove that he is the party who was liable for the debt and can provide proof of the amount of the debt, then even with him showing up the chances of him winning are slim. He would have to prove that the card agreement is not valid or that they cannot prove it was him that signed the card agreement or made the charges in order to prevail on the suit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

It is a Home Depot card but owned by citibank on the documents.
From working cases with that company, it is most likely that they will have the proof of the debt they require. If he does not show up they will get a default judgment against him and then seek to enforce it through garnishment or seizing bank accounts. If he does show up, there is always a chance they may not show up and he can then ask for the matter to be dismissed for them failing to show up and if they do show up he can at least try to negotiate the debt with them for some type of affordable payments.