I am filing for divorce in the state of florida. My husband…

Customer Question
I am filing for divorce...
I am filing for divorce in the state of florida.
My husband wants a divorce after 12 years.
Long story short he thought the grass was greener on the other side.
Let me explain: I am 53 He is 45. I want ALIMONY. I make 58,000 he makes 68,000 and has the potential for making more.
I am near retirement after 30 years at the same job.
During the course of this marriage: I contributed to the following He reveived a masters degree and specialist degree, went through a 36,000 custoday battle, he had child support then one of his children came to live with us and now the child was full time and I was raising him. His biological mother wants and wanted nothing to do with him. We used my care to travel every other weekend to pick his children up for 6 years then my car got worn out and I had to buy another car and he made me take the loan out in my name and I am still paying for it and he has his car free and clear. We have many bills.
During this time I was diagnosed with thyroid eye disease and had to have 3 major surgeries and I also was diagnosed with osteoporosis.
I contributed a lot more than I can even write here to this marriage but when my eyes started to look like I had graves disease he went off and had an affair. After I caught him we discussed hanging on until we could get some bills paid so we could live on our own.
He agreed but during this time he was emotionally abusive having his friends over and partying without even asking or caring, He would talk on the phone to his friend for hours at a time never helping. Leaving me to cook, clean, do laundryy, take care of his child, put the garbage out etc. The man did nothing. Then he would say nasty things to me. Much Much more. But botXXXXX XXXXXne now that I am out and feeling stronger I told him I want alimony for payback for the hurtfull things he did and what I contributed to the relationship . I am getting ready to retire my money will be cut in half and I have health issue where stress doesn't help. I also have been seeing a pycholgoist because of the way he treated me.
I want to know if I can get alimony botXXXXX XXXXXne.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
There are no set alimony payments or guidelines in Florida. The Florida statutes give factors that a judge should consider in determining whether or not to award alimony and, if so, how much. A lawyer in Florida has a neat website that explains the factors and the lawyer has a video that pops up and explains what factors are most important and why. The website is at http://www.18884mydivorce.com/pub/Alimony/alimonypuzzle.htm.

Take a few minutes and walk through this. What this will allow you to do is gauge your chances of getting alimony and structure your case and present evidence in such a way as to increase your chances.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.