I am involved in a slip and fall accident lawsuit. At the time,

Customer Question
This is mostly a question...
This is mostly a question regarding HIPAA confidentiality and the information that is allowed to be publicly disclosed in depositions without my consent. I am involved in a slip and fall accident lawsuit. At the time, I was a student, and had seen various doctors for various reasons at the student Health Center. While it makes sense that they would depose medical doctors to see if I ever had physical problems before, they did depositions of ALL the doctors I had seen under the auspices of the Student Health Center, including a therapist and two psychiatrists. I am concerned that depositions were not only taken for the mental health professionals I saw, but that these depositions are now available for sale on a website that sells depositions to "legally authorized" people. They claim this includes ONLY attorneys and etc, and that since I made my "medical status" a basis of my lawsuit that I have lost rights to privacy in this area.

is this correct? My accident involves a physical injury and I am concerned that some non=relevant psychiatric information/history had been revealed in the depositions that is sensitive and now seems to be available for purchase to whomever decides to claim they are an attorney somewhere. I have not seen the full depositions but they very well could contain information that, while having no relevance to my case, is damaging to me should potential employers or others see it, as it is none of their business and things I privately discussed with my psychiatrists at the time.

i would like to know what my legal rights are to have these depositions removed from this website's sales area. I found them simply by putting my name into google, and this makes me worried that any person one day who decides to get "dirt" on me could just claim to be an attorney or related doing legal research and purchase them. I emailed the website several times, and only finally received a response after threatening to have a lawyer involved if they did not respond, and they told me that since I signed consents for the entire student health center that this information was part of the case materials and therefor open to the public in such a manner that legal people doing research were allowed to it. I am mostly concerned that it is SO easy to find just by putting my name into a very common search engine. I feel this is a violation of privacy as I signed consents for this information specifically for use with the case, and not for it to be sold for profit at a later time on this deposition research website.

Please advise. This case is based out of Louisiana , as is the company that is selling my depositions on their website.

Please note...my offer was $28 because I'm struggling financially right now, but if you give me a really great answer to help me remove these depositions from that website I will gladly try to pay at least $50.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

While when you placed your mental state in issue in your claim, it opened your mental health records to perusal by the defense, you do not need to allow the defense to place these records in a depository where they will be reachable by literally tens of thousands of people.

You will need to have your attorney seek a protective order from the court restricting the post litigation publication use of your medical records and the deposition testimony concerning your mental health to the extent that such testimony is not used in trial (which is a public forum). The court can force the defense to not distribute your private medical information to parties unrelated to the present litigation.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Thank you very much. So does this information apply in all states, including Louisiana? This is the email I received from the website when I complained about my depositions being placed for sale there:

"At <<Deposition Website Company Name>>>, LLC we do not prepare the depositions. We sell copies of depositions that have already been taken in a case.

We strive to protect personal information and based upon your comments it
appears that all sensitive information has been redacted on our website and
is not available for public view. The deposition is for sale, subject to
certain terms and conditions as listed on the web site.

As you placed your medical condition at issue in the litigation, and a
deposition was taken, you can assume that your information has been shared
with third parties through the litigation process. This litigation based
sharing of information is not something that we have been involved with or
participated in. We at XXXXXXXXXX Source, LLC have not sold any copies of
your depositions to anyone and therefore have not shared any information
with third parties.

We hope this resolves any concerns you may have"

As you said, can this information be made publc ONLY if we go to trial and those witnesses are called? Because we are currently in the settlement stage, and may NOT have to go to trial at all. And, even if we do go to trial, the mental health information should not be included in this trial at any rate. So, I can request that all information be removed from their website then? They claim, as it says, that certain "requirements" are needed to purchase depositions (eg- you must be a lawyer doing research) but to be honest, any person can go on there, register, state they are with a law firm and buy it for 99 bucks. This can't be right. Thank you very much for any help you've given and will give. I am waiting to submit an extra fee based on your final response so I have enough info to go to my lawyer and ask him to do these things for me. Do we have to wait for the case to be completed before I can ask for removal of these documents from the website?
Good morning,

Unless your depositions have already been distributed to the depository for placement on their website for sale, a court Order directed to the defense would prevent distribution to the website. But the letter you have from them would seem to indicate that it is already on the website.

If the defense has already turned over copies of the deposition, you may actually need to file an action against the owners of the website to seek to prevent the distribution of your personal information. To the extent that your personal information has been "redacted" as they claim, that means that it will not be available to anyone---however, that limits the use of the deposition transcripts and I question whether there has really be a complete redaction. They refer to "sensitive" information. There may well be information they don;t consider sensitive that you still do not want out to the public.

I'd suggest that you demand that they either sell you exactly what they have available on line or allow you free of charge to review it and make additional demands for redaction. Now, certain things like your name are not protected under privacy laws---so you might want to work with your attorney on what should be redacted.

I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug