I believe Im in a rather unique situation. I am now 35 years…

Customer Question
I believe I'm in a...
I believe I'm in a rather unique situation. I am now 35 years old, and have an 18 year old son. His mother was 21, I was 16 at the time. We were actually together when I was 15, but I cant prove that. My first question is: What is the statute of limitations on having sex with a minor in the state of Arizona? Along with that I now have a child support debt of over 30 thousand dollars. Do I have any rights in this matter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Loren, Attorney
The statute of limitations is 7 years on a sexual conduct with a minor. You are well beyond the period for which charges could be brought. The statute of limitations for collection of child support was eliminated effective September 21, 2006. In cases prior to September 21, 2006 where the youngest child had emancipated and three years have passed: If a final judgment on arrears was not obtained, then the arrears cannot be collected. If a final judgment on arrears was obtained, then those arrears can be collected. If a judgment was obtained for any time period within the duration of the current child support and there is a balance still due, then those arrears can be collected.
I dont unterstand what you mean by "If a final judgement on arrears was obtained, then those arrears can be collected..."
It means that if a judgment was obtained for the amount you owe, it can still be collected. They still have to seek a judgment to collect the back support if they have not already. Once a judgment is obtained, the obligation does not expire.
So basically the screwing I got when I was 16 I will be screwing me until I die? There is not even a chance to have a year or two of those charges removed because I was a minor?
You may want to try bringing it up, but the mother would have had to have been convicted of sexual contact with a minor for there to have been an effect on the obligation to pay child support. It is too late now that the order has been in place. The relevant section of the Arizona statute is as follows: "...The court may determine that a parent is not obligated to contribute to the support of the parent's minor child if maternity or paternity is the result of the parent's sexual contact with a person who, as a result of that contact, has been found guilty of sexual conduct with a minor under section 13-1405 or sexual assault under section 13-1406. The court may also apply this exemption to the parent's parents or legal guardian."

Edited by Loren Stone on 6/25/2010 at 7:56 AM EST