My ex-husband and I borrowed money from my In-laws 22 years…

My ex-husband and I borrowed...
My ex-husband and I borrowed money from my In-laws 22 years ago. At the same time his sister borrowed the same amount of money. We each purchased homes. The sister stopped making payments on her loan so eventually the in-laws told us to stop paying on our loan. We did so. The in-laws were divorced 19 years ago and the loans were equally divided between them. When the sister sold her home no mention was made of the loan. We recently got divorced and subsequently sold our home. Now my ex-mother in law claims we still owe her the money from our loan. Does she have a legal right to demand payment?
6/25/2010
Thank you for your question.

Was the loan made in California? When exactly was the last time you made a payment on the debt?
The loan was made in California. The last payment was made in August of 1991.
Thank you for your follow-up.

You have NOTHING to worry about. California has a 2 year statute of limitations on oral contracts on debt. You are completely outside the statutory requirement so long as you do not admit to the debt, or "assume it" by promising to pay it back.

Hope that helps and feel better!

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/25/2010 at 2:03 AM EST
I have not been able to resolve my problem. How do I go about hiring an attorney and filing a claim?
Thank you for your follow-up.

What county are you located in?
San Diego
Thank you for your patience.

You have two ways of finding competent counsel. The first is for you to contact the San Diego County Bar Association and have them provide you with a referral to a litigation and business law attorney. Here is their link below: http://www.sdcba.org/

Second, you can browse the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise. This is my preferred method of finding counsel in locations where I do not have personal contacts.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 8/1/2010 at 9:00 PM EST