The unit my friend is at has no opportunity for higher education…

The unit my friend is...
The unit my friend is at has no opportunity for higher education (she already has a bach degree); how can she further her education? She has no access to a computer; education would have to be written or a possible transfer. Where do we start????
6/25/2010
NewYorkLaw101
NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer
What is your legal question?
waiting for an answer....
What is your legal question?
Where does your friend live?
My friend is in prison in Hobby Unit in Marlin, Texas. There is no opportunity for higher education where she is housed. She already had a bachelors degree before she was convicted. She'd like to use her time in prison to further her education (criminal law).

How does she get started?
She has no access to a computer.

What unit in Texas has programs to assist her?
Will transfer if/when possible.
Okay, these are the educational programs available at Hobby:

Literacy (Adult Basic Education/GED), Special Education, CHANGES/Pre-Release, Cognitive Intervention, Life Matters, Parenting Seminar, Project RIO
Career and Technology Programs: Automotive Specialization (Brakes); Business Computer Information Systems II; Painting and Decorating
now, without knowing what your friend's charges, sentence or case is about, it is difficult to answer that question - there are a lot of things to consider when a transfer would be applicable, the best source for that information is the warden and/or prison officials -
I'm sorry, we already knew of these programs, but thats not what she's looking for. She has a bachelors in education and has taught for many years, but some of the conditions involved in her case is that she lost her teaching certificate. She is interested in a legal degree. My question is where would she need to transfer to to get in the necessary program? I'm having to ask you, because there's not much help offered from the prison.
I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
I am very familiar with the prison educational programs in Texas and there are no facilities which offer any type of courses with any type of "legal degree". To transfer to another facility she has to turn in an I-60 directed to the warden of her facility explaining what she wants. She should also direct the I-60 to the Windham School District Counseling and Testing Office.

If it is denied the facility has a very specific appeals process. However, she should be aware that TDC does not consider the fact that the facility in which she is located does not offer the educational opportunities she is interested in as grounds for a transfer.

There are a number of educational institutions which offer programs for inmates but they are not all paid for by TDC.

The TDC handbook, available as a PDF at http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publications/cid/OffendOrientHbkNov04.pdf, described educational opportunities at p. 28.

The handbook also advises that an offender should contact the unit Principal or Windham Counselor for information on any educational program or service. Enrollment in Windham School District programs is based on Individualized Treatment Plan (ITP) priorities.

The unit Principal or Windham counselor will have information on what courses are currently offered where. The problem is that the curriculum changes constantly.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney