In the state of Mass. What is the fee paid to the attorney…

Customer Question
In the state of Mass...
In the state of Mass. What is the fee paid to the attorney for workers comp. if there is a third party law suite. Case settled for 750K from third party, Workers comp paid out 222K. Settlement with workers comp was for $1.00, and I paid them back 25K out of the third party settlement. Can my attorney charge me 20 % of the monies received from workers comp?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
If the attorney worked on contingency basis then 20% is standard. You should have been made aware of the percentage he would take when you entered into a contract for representation.
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
I am not sure what I signed with her. I think it is unreasonable for her to get paid by the insurance co. for each hearing, get 250K from the third party law suit, and then charge me 20% of the amount workers comp. paid me over the past 1.5 years. That is 222K minus the 25K I paid them back, leaving 197K, and she charged me 20% of the 197K. Is she considering 197K my settlement with workers comp? And if so is that legal under Mass. workers comp. Law? This appears to be double dipping on her part.

Thank you for your help,
Robert Bernard

Sorry I did not understand that she is charging a second time. You really need to read the agreement. If she gets 20% of any award then she would not be double dipping. But is she only stated in the agreement she would get 20% of the either the award from worker's comp or from a 3rd party then she is double charging and that would be illegal.