I subscribed to a flexible spending account with my employer…

Customer Question
I subscribed to a flexible...
I subscribed to a flexible spending account with my employer for both dependent care and medical expenses. I have done this for 7 years. This year, due to very particular personal and professional circumstances, i forgot to submit my expenses on time (by 2/28/2010) and submitted them on 3/16/2010. All expenses were incurred during the right period (prior to 12/31/09) but i sent my claims too late. My claims were denied. I sent an appeal letter which was denied by the plan administrator. There is a second appeal process which should be reviewed by the plan administrator and my employer. Any advice as to what to state in that second and last appeal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Teacher Editor, Instructor replied 8 years ago
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor

This is a hard situation as your chances are very slim as the plan administrator will probably not approve them. If the plan is administered by a smaller company, your chances rise.

At this point, you really need to play the sympathy card and make them empathize with your situation. You want to show them how you and your children will put into a very difficult situation financially if the claims are not paid. Also, give a good reason for the claims to be turned in late such as a family emergency, stress or other medical issue that kept you from turning them in on time. The more sympathetic you get them to be and the better your reason for not turning in the claim on time (the more out of your control it is), the better chance you will have.