I live in Boise City and I have a judgment against me from…

Customer Question
I live in Boise City...
I live in Boise City and I have a judgment against me from a credit card debt - my husband and I have a LLC for our farming operation which has not been making any profit - we both get SS - the law firm Stephen L Bruce is garnishing the LLC as we are members of it and not employees - My question is do we have any protection as members of the LLC in Oklahoma?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Lawyer: MShore, Attorney replied 8 years ago
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, was the credit card debt in the name of the LLC?
No, it was in my name
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is a separate entity and should be treated as such.

Okay, can Stephen Bruce garnish income to the LLC since I'm a member?

what info do you need
Why do I keep getting this without a reply
Hello, no he cannot. The LLC is a separate entity, the only way to garnish the LLC wages is in the event of fraud (it is call piercing the corporate veil).
Where can I find this in OK statutes so I would be able to stop this action?
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
I'll try to step in and assist since the other lawyer opted out.

There is not going to be a place in the "OK statutes" since it is such a basic principal of law there is no need to codify it. Many people are under the mistaken impression that the statutes are most of our law, but most of it is commonlaw based on legal principles and cases and not in the statutes.

An LLC is a separate legal entity. It would be the same as if he was trying to garnish your bank account because your neighbor owes money.

You will have to hire a lawyer who does corporate law and file an action to stop the garnishment. Until he "pierces the corporate veil" as the other expert mentioned, he is not entitled to garnish anything from the LLC other than its' payments to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Edited by JD 1992 on 6/25/2010 at 5:34 PM EST
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney