My daughter had an accident when she was 15...she was responsible…

My daughter had an accident...
My daughter had an accident when she was 15...she was responsible for the fender bender..only had a learner permit to drive w/ a licensed driver (she did not have one with her) We had a friend who had given us this truck my daughter was driving ...along with paid insurance per the friend ....insurance had expired...the victim of the crash had insurance...now I (the mother) 4 years later have rec'd a summons to pay the insurance company 60.000 or lose everything i have...i have no idea what the 60.000 is for...and have to respond in 20 days....do i have any recourse to get help for this legal charge???
6/24/2010
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
In the state of Florida, parents can be held financially responsible for car accident injuries and property damage caused by their children. For instance, if you are a parent you can be held responsible for your children's car accidents in the following ways:

If you own the vehicle your child is driving, you are automatically responsible for an accident, as if you were driving the car yourself. This is one reason why some parents prefer to title a vehicle in the child's name, making the child the legal owner of the car he or she is driving. However, this may not solve the liability issue if the child is a minor or if the child is listed on the parents' auto insurance policy.

If your child is under the age of 18, you are required by Florida law to sign your child's application for a license. By signing for your child's learners permit or drivers license, you are legally responsible for your child's actions according to Florida statute 322.09, which states: "Any negligence or willful misconduct of a minor under the age of 18 years when driving a motor vehicle upon a highway shall be imputed to the person who has signed the application of such minor for a permit or license, which person shall be jointly and severally liable with such minor for any damages caused by such negligence or willful misconduct."

By adding your child to your car insurance contract, or by signing on a car insurance policy with your child, you are accepting liability in any accident in which your child is at fault, just as if you were the driver in the accident.

So the best thing for you to do is call your insurance company and see if the will cover this and if not to recommend a personal injury defense lawyer that you can hire to defend you.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
would you happen to have estimated guess for an attorney for such representation..or do you think i could write a letter myself to the court within the next 20 days to ask for and extension without them taking my life away???thank you sir

Most of these lawyers will charge 150 per hour. However, check with your insurance carrier or look for an insurance defense lawyer at the links provided.

You can file a motion requesting an extension of time to answer the suit. It may be better if you actually go to the court and ask for it in person . You may also be able to contact the other lawyer and see if he will agree to give you an extension of tome to answer by written stipulation.

Also you should read pages CIV 23 - 25 at the link below:

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBResources.nsf/Attachments/10C69DF6FF15185085256B29004BF823/$FILE/Civil.pdf?OpenElement