Is their a lawyer online with SSA knowledge

Customer Question
?...
Is their a lawyer online with SSA knowledge ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 8 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney

Thank your for asking Just Answer,

Sure, What is your question?

Does your expertise in SSA include overpayment of SSDI? SSA claims they overpaid me over $57,000 for five years. They've lost my file and I was not able to view it at all. After completing the appellate process in continued to be denied. Reason, I should have told them that they were overpaying me! Talk about gray zones.

It is very tough gray area. If you still have appeals left I would suggest you hire a Social Security Disability attorney to help you. There may be some "technicalities" that you are not aware of that may help you win the argument.

If you have exhausted your appeals then I can offer some consolation: SSA is terrible at collecting on back debt. They will reduce your future payments, they will hold any tax refunds you have but they will NOT garnish your bank accounts, or try to collect from other assets you have.

Do you have the cite no. on non-garnishment of liquid assets?
There is no cite. They legally are entitled to garnish. It is just a matter of practice. They only seem to go after what they find easy.
Well, if its not a written practice, it's not a fact that they won't touch liquid assets. Caution to you. Giving advice and someone acting on it could be dangerous with your answers.

If you want a cite you will find very few with SSA. Most of their cases end with an administrative decision that is unpublished. Very few have the money or the energy to take them to an appellate court where a case would be published. Their rules are obsure and definately would not state their collection practices. I am giving you facts based on over 10 years practicing administrative law and SSA. Many of the rules that you find with these agencies are unwritten. Only an experienced Elder Law Attorney will be able to guide you through this web. As initially stated. It will pay you to hire a lawyer.

I would hope to have an Accept and positive feedback from you. I gave you great advise. Sorry you choose not to believe it.

Edited by John Wills on 6/29/2010 at 11:31 PM EST