Actually, I have no idea where this question falls.. but here…

Customer Question
Actually, I have no idea...
Actually, I have no idea where this question falls.. but here goes. I was in the hospital for 9 days in May. I have reasonable insurance, but I have major medical problems, and over the years my husband and I have borrowed from our 401K to pay all the co-pays and other health care I've needed.. up to $44000.00 We have to pay that back at $950/month. I still have on going health care needs, not covered by insurance. Aside from regular bill paying I have less than $50/month to pay the aprox $4500... co pay from the hospital stay. I have already filed bankruptcy once in 1996, and don't want to go that route again.. we can maintain, but this particular hospital is very strict about paying off amounts due. Unless someone is on Social Security they seem to be unforgiving of balances due. Last year they made a bookkeeping error that resulted in me owing another $18.00. Though I was very tight in January I told them I'd pay in Feb.. they not only insisted they would charge me 8% interest they would put me in collections as well. So,
How the heck do I even BEGIN to negotiate a lesser price for the balance due? I am still sick and still having to pay co pays every week for doctor appnts and the like.
IS there a way to talk to the hospital?? I don't have a great deal of energy for it, but I am definitely unable to pay this $4500!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: MShore, Attorney replied 8 years ago
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, unfortunately you are in a very difficult position here because legally you have no grounds to argue that the hospital should accept a lesser amount, and your strongest argument to compel them to accept a more reasonable monthly payment is to threaten bankruptcy.
MShore
MShore, Attorney
I guess, If I bring in all my paperwork and show them I could be headed there it may move them a little bit, I guess I could try that.. even if it would bring their interest rates down! I already filed bankruptcy with them as I wrote, so, they know it's out there.
Thanks for the answer.. I kinda knew that, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX great day.