I was sentenced in two federal cases for a total of ten years…

Customer Question
I was sentenced in two...
I was sentenced in two federal cases for a total of ten years in prison and two terms of probation to run concurently the first was 5 years and the second was 3 years with huge amount of restitution that exceeded two million dollars, two months ago my three years probation was ended with a motion from my probation officer for violation of the probation for not paying my restitution, originally the judge scheduled $500.00 a month however because of my medical conditions and family responsibilities i could not pay and at one point I told my probation officer about the amount and my financial ability, he advised me to go ahead and pay what ever I could afford, and i start paying $25.00 for each restitution for about ten months when I lost my job and until now I am not able to pay, what are the chances on my coming hearing for revocation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The reality is that family responsibilities don't come before your conditions of parole----don't even go there at the motion hearing. If you have a medical condition which prevents you from working that can be a valid defense to being violated. If you lost your job, you'd better be able to show that you are spending 40 hours a week looking for a job.

You very badly need an experienced criminal defense attorney helping you here or you may well be violated back to prison.

I wish you the best at the hearing.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

Dear XXXXX

This is a Federal Case and i am not sure if you are an expert in Federal Criminal Cases!

I need someone with Federal Criminal Experience to answer my question.

Thank you

Sorry you didn't like the Answer----I didn't suspect that you would. I'll opt out and allow another attorney to give you the bad news a second time.
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
I hate to be the second bearer of bad news here, but unlike the state courts the federal courts are not as lenient or forgiving in these issues. Your previous expert was correct. However, one thing we have been seeing more in court is that the courts are considering the poor economy when it comes to loss of employment and are giving a bit more consideration regarding time to repay and the amount of the payments, but don't look for them to go down too much because the federal judges are not overly sympathetic and you better show, as your previous expert stated, that you are looking for work. When you say family obligations, the previous expert was also correct in that the court doesn't have much sympathy for that either. However, if you are referring to paying living expenses and food for your family, you may have some chance but you are going to need to show through detailed financial records that your expenses are for basic needs and there is insufficient left for payment of the high restitution. Again, it is not frequent that the federal courts will do this, but it happens and it is up to you to paint the picture of your dire financial circumstances.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”