I had a question My 17 year old daughter and I were seeing…

Customer Question
I had a question? My...
I had a question? My 17 year old daughter and I were seeing the same doctor. She was getting her prenatal care and I was seeing him as my gynocologist. Yesterday I called to set up an appointment for my daughter to follow since she had cancelled her last appointment.The office manager told me that me and my daughters were dismiss due to me saying bad comments about this doctor. I was shocked. I explained to her that why would she even think that. I told her that I was very offended because she was falsely acussing me of something that was not true. I explained to her then why was I still there after so many years and why in the world I reffer people over to that office if I didnt think he was a good doctor. To me this was very childish. The patient that made all this comments was a supposibly close friend of mine who has a very good friendship with this lady. I told her I knew who had made this comments but did not mentioned any names. Now It makes me think that what else was said about me and why did many daughter have to pay these consequences. I went today to try to talk to the doctor but I cant get a hold of him. I feel that he was not treating his patients equally and I feel like they discriminated me and my daughter because we are not as close to him as the other patient. And not to mention that the doctor is the brother of the office manager. Can they do this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - The doctor is a private business and can choose which patients he wants to treat or not treat so it is legal to drop any patient he wants. If a doctor thinks a patient is somehow unhappy with his treatment he will generally stop treating that patient due tot he fear of a lawsuit.

All you can do is try to get in to see him or write a letter explaining your situation. You cannot force the doctor to continue to have you as a patient.

Dave Kennett

But as a proffessional I feel that he shoud of brought up to my attention before he assumed anything. And i feel that this employee and other patient were talking about me so isnt that breaking confidentality.

Only the doctor can break the confidentiality so if the doctor said anything concerning your medical information to anyone that is a violation of law. I agree that he should have been more professional in the way he handled the situation but that is not a violation of any law. If the employee released any information the doctor is responsible as well and you can file a civil suit. It depends on who told who what. If the other patient just told the doctor's office something then you have no case against the doctor since he can't help what someone outside his office says about you.

Dave

But Can she get in trouble for doing that. She is mainly my concern because I dont even know no more what could have been said.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Can who get in trouble, the patient or the employee?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.