An elderly neighbor (74) recently gave Power of Attorney to…

Customer Question
An elderly neighbor (74) recently...
An elderly neighbor (74) recently gave Power of Attorney to her son, he has in the past 6 months stolen all of her retirement, approx $60,000.00, moved his 18 year old son in with her, who locks her in her room, calls her names and we think might be doing more. The grandson put an allarming video of Ruth on U-Tube, in which she looks drugged. The local police got involved but say they cant do anything without proof of abuse. The U-Tube video has been removed. Her family is upset and want to get involved but all keep passing the buck. No one wants to be the one to blow the whisle on this crisis. I fear for Ruth's safety. Can anything be done? Social Services has been contacted and will only deal with the Son since he's POA. Feeling very helpless
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - It would appear you have done all you can do. You can't force the police to take action if they refuse to do so and you have no standing to file a civil suit as this is a private family matter. It is difficult to believe that social services will not investigate beyond talking to the son but, once again, you cannot control what they do.

About all you can do is monitor the situation and if you see anything happening take a picture or video and offer it to the police.

Dave Kennett

Relist: Answer quality.
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
Is there another family member that could get involved on the woman's behalf?

She has two sister's who have talked to me, but neither drives so have a hard time checking up on her.

Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
you can notify the elder abuse hotline at

[email protected]

or

1-800-815-0015

or at

http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/aging/elderabuse/index.htm

Edited by Wayne Patterson on 6/25/2010 at 2:40 AM EST