My old apartment complex is trying to charge me for things…

Customer Question
My old apartment complex is...
My old apartment complex is trying to charge me for things I should not be charged for like upgrades I declined and extra keys I did not receive. They even reported this to a collection agency. I don't owe them $400. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. have they sued you?
No, they haven't sued me (yet). I just spoke with the collection agency yesterday and she said I could call her back today to let her know if I wanted to dispute it. If I did want to dispute it, it would immediately go on my credit report as a dispute. Otherwise she would give me until the end of this month to pay. I just don't think I should have to pay something because they said I do. Also, I moved because I just purchased a home and I really don't want this on my credit. Should I just pay them now and try to fight it later?
You should indeed dispute it, demand proof of debt per the fdcpa, and do it by phone and in writing. Often that will end the claim as they wont be able to prove it or wont want to sue over such an amount.
What is the FDCPA and how do I contact them? Also, should I ask for proof directly from the apartment complex, with the FDCPA, or through the collection agency? Will this affect my credit report as nothing is on there right now? I was supposed to call the collection agency back today with an answer to either dispute or pay by next week. Should I seek an attorney here in Texas? (sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate your help)
The fair debt collection practices act would require proof of debt on demand and bar them from baseless claims, and I would contact the collection agency by call and letter.