My son threw a mortar during shop class and accidentally hit…

Customer Question
My son threw a mortar...
My son threw a mortar during shop class and accidentally hit the teacher on the side of his head, standing about 30' away. The teacher then pushed my son to the ground and threaten to kick his a** in front of the class. The school admin said that my son caused the teacher to have a ruptured eardrum from a small mortar thrown 30' away. There was a video tape of the incident which I nor my husband was allowed to view but was used as evidence at the hearing to suspend my son from school until next year. He would also have to perform 120 hrs of community service hrs before start of next semester. He would also be enrolled in something called "choice" program for delinquent. The school police officer took statement at time of accident but would not give me a report because he claimed that it's privilege info and am not privilege to it. Furthermore, if I decide to press charge against the teacher, he will then press charge against my son. As for the teacher, he got a couple of days of from school for ruptured ear and that was it. Although my son, on the other hand, has vehemently said that it was an accident when he threw the mortar because he did not see the teacher when he threw the mortar because the teacher was standing on the side of the building. This teacher had been allowing his students to throw mortars on top of the roof before and he never corrected or stopped them from doing it.
Because of this incident, my son has failed all his class and could not take summer class to make them up and most like to repeat his grade again.
As a parent, am not allow to view the video tape or see the police report. Why? Nothing was done to the teacher for assaulting my son but if I pursue the issue then my son would have to be arrested also. This sounds like an intimidation to me. Am I right? Please advise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
I am not crazy about the idea of holding the idea of charges contingent on whether you press charges. While the school is within its rights to suspend your son (who lets face it, did something foolish, whether or not in the past he was not instructed to not do foolish things) you are also in your rights to press charges or file a lawsuit. Keep in mind, however, that while the teacher asked wrongly out of anger, the judicial system may give the teacher the benefit of the doubt because of your son's actions. On the other hand, the video may show a different story and the only way you will likely be able to access the videotape is by filing a lawsuit. The video would have to be exchanged as part of discovery.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

REMINDER: As your question has been answered, I respectfully request that you click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Even if you left a deposit the only way I am credited with giving you an answer is if you press ACCEPT. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid, we do not receive a salary. You should also note that statistics are kept on accepted answers and seen by adviser, if you do not accept it might affect the likelihood of getting future questions answered.