I AM A LANDLORD FOR TWO APARTMENTS UPSTAIRS FROM MY COMMERCIAL…

Customer Question
I AM A LANDLORD FOR...
I AM A LANDLORD FOR TWO APARTMENTS UPSTAIRS FROM MY COMMERCIAL OFFICE. ONE OF THE TENANTS WILL NOT PAY HIS RENT, AND HE TOTALLY IGNORES MY COMMUNICATIONS. I HAVE GIVEN HIM LATE RENT NOTICES AND A TERMINATION OF LEASE. HE IS NOW ONE FULL MONTH BEHIND. I HAVE ADVISED HIM THAT HIS LEASE WILL TERMINATE ON THE LAST DAY OF JUNE. WE HAVE A STAIRWAY LEADING TO BOTH APARTMENTS WHICH CURRENTLY ARE EASILY ACCESSABLE. I WOULD LIKE TO PLACE A LOCKED WROGHT IRON GATE AT THE ENTRYWAY. OR I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE LOCK ON THE APARTMENT. WHICH EVER IS BEST PERMISSABLE THE TENANT IS NEVER PRESENT, HE COMES IN FOR TWO MINUTES THEN LEAVES FOR DAYS. I WOULD LIKE TO EVICT THIS TENANT AS HE IS A DEAD BEAT. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS SO THAT I CAN STAY WITHIN THE LEGAL CONFINES. IT SEEMS LIKE THE LANDLORD TAKES ALL THE RISKS BUT THE TENANT GETS ALL THE RIGHTS AND BENEFITS. THANK YOU KINDLY FOR YOUR HELP !
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello. Sorry, but you can't just lock out your tenant. You must properly evict him through the courts. Once you have a court order, then you can follow that order and change the locks when legally permissible.

Kimberly