A friend of mine who was under investigation but not yet indicted…

Customer Question
A friend of mine who...
A friend of mine who was under investigation but not yet indicted or charged, died. Is it legal in the State of Michigan for anything to be publicized regarding those alleged charges or the investigation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
They can certainly say that the matter is still being investigated - which they can. Then the facts speak for themselves.

For instance, if this person forged documents - then regardless if he's dead the forged documents will be voided.

What supposedly or allegedly happened - what are they investigating?
So they could put his name in this article regarding the ongoing investigation? If there is no other person to prosecute, why?
Yes, they can place the name of the deceased in the news paper as "someone of interest" in the investigation". However, since the deceased cannot defend themselves (they are dead) they cannot make a finding that the person did anything wrong themselves.

For an extreme example - if two mafia hit men have a shoot-out and it would seem that they killed each other - the newspaper could certainly print that inference of the matter. They couldn't be prosecuted because they are dead however.

But circumstantial evidence can and is used all the time to convict persons of illegal activities.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.