We are a corporation based in South Carolina. We bid and contract…

Customer Question
We are a corporation based...
We are a corporation based in South Carolina. We bid and contract work in the State of Florida. Our company provides subcontact welding, pipefitting, machining & heat treat services to utilities. Do we have to have a contractor's license in the State of Florida and if so which kind of license do we have to have? Thank you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Out-of-state corporations need to file an application before doing any business in the state of Florida. To get an application, contact:

contact.GIF (447 bytes)Department of State
Office of the Secretary of State
Division of Corporations, Registration Section
P.O. Box 6327
Tallahassee, FL 32314(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />http://www.dos.state.fl.us/

Also, you need to be certified to do construction work in Florida. Contractors with a "certified" license are allowed to work anywhere in the state.

Certified licenses are issued by:

contact.GIF (447 bytes)Department of Business & Professional Regulation
Construction Industry Licensing Board
Attention: Examination
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/
[email protected]
Please include "construction" in the subject line

Certified Contractor's Licenses

Here's a list of the certified contractor's licenses the Board issues:

Division 1
General
Building
Residential

Division 2
Mechanical
Air conditioning class A
Air conditioning class B
Glass and glazing specialty
Roofing
Solar
Sheet metal
Commercial pool/spa*
Residential pool/spa
Pool/spa Servicing
Plumbing
Solar water heating specialty
Underground utility and excavation
Pollutant storage systems
Gypsum drywall specialty
Structure specialty
Gas line specialty
Tank lining applicator
Precision tank tester
Dry wall specialty

If you have a trade license from another state, you may qualify for the trade exam if you can prove you got your license by passing an exam, that your license required experience equal to what the Board requires and documentation regarding scope of work allowed by the licensee. Other than this Florida doesn't have any reciprocity or endorsement agreements other states.

Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/