We believe my wife has been conned via internet "secret shopper"

Customer Question
guise into depositing counterfiet usps...
We believe my wife has been conned via internet "secret shopper" guise into depositing counterfiet usps money orders to her bank and then sending money wire transfers via Western Union overseas. she has done two totalling $6,600 in the last five days.

How do we proceed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney

Unfortunately, these are scams, designed to defraud innocent people out of their money. There are warnings all over the internet as well as television commercials warning against this.

You must report this to the FBI which has a special unit for internet fraud. If they are able to apprehend these perpetrators, you can try and get your money back

_________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

The bank has not contacted us...yet we assume. Do we go to the bank first or to the FBI?

Here is the website where all complaints are filed. It also contains all information you will need and where to contact them

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

_______________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Should we contact the bank or wait until they contact us? We are assuming these are counterfiet usps money orders.

Contact the bank immediately so that you put the bank on notice that you played no part in this and are simply an innocent victim. Tell the bank that you contacted them as soon as you found out that this might be a scam

____________________________________________

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

That is the only way I get paid

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR