I was summoned by Discover Card due to an unpaid debt ($4000+).

Customer Question
The summon states that "I...
I was summoned by Discover Card due to an unpaid debt ($4000+). The summon states that "I have 30 calendar days after this summons and legal papers are served on you to file a written response at this court and have a copy served on the plaintiff." I'm not sure what this means, but when I check the courts website the 1st recommendation is to "Talk to the person or business that is suing you. Try to work things out before going to court." Will I still be able to negotiate if I call the law office representing Discover Card?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: BizAttorney, Attorney replied 8 years ago
BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
You can continue to negotiate even after the expiration of the 30 days. Technically you only have 20 days in which to file an answer. If you do nothing within the 20 day time period then Discover card will move for a default judgment against you and it will be too late to answer and defend against the lawsuit.

I would suggest trying to work out a deal with them but do NOT let the 20 days expire and make sure you file an answer disputing the debt. It will give you more time to negotiate a deal. Good luck!
Is there a legal form I have to fill out that needs to be submitted to the court?
It isn't a form, but you need to write on a piece of paper the caption (where it names the parties, case number XXXXX title it as an "Answer"). Then go through and admit, deny or say you don't have sufficient information to answer for every paragraph in their complaint. Then you need to list your affirmative defenses, you'll have to look them up online to see which ones apply to your situation. Good luck!