Can i legally change to my maiden name, but continue to use…

Customer Question
Can i legally change to...
Can i legally change to my maiden name, but continue to use my husbands name in my career?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/24/2010
Lawyer: BizAttorney, Attorney replied 8 years ago
BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Yes, this happens all of the time. People many times don't change their legal name, but use their married name on credit cards, bank accounts and business cards. This is why there are lawsuits that name someone and then list "a/k/a" another person. You can continue to use your husband's name in your career, but it will simply be an alias and not your legal name. Good luck!
Thank you. will it have an reprecussions on my paycheck or filing taxes? I file in my legal maiden name, but receive pay/tax filings in the alias? or must I notify my company of anyting
No it won't. When you file, you will file with your legal name. When you get your W-2 with your married name on it, you just will put your married name on that section of your taxes when it asks for your W-2. Taxes are linked to your social security number not your name.