im in fl and i had a dui there in 1998 before that i had quite…

Customer Question
im in fl and i...
im in fl and i had a dui there in 1998 before that i had quite a few in az with the new law in fl can i get my license? alsoi dont own a vehichle do i need to buy one to get my dl?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

I'm a Florida criminal defense attorney and very familiar with the DUI laws of Florida. In Florida, all the way up to and including a 3rd DUI conviction, you are still able to get a driver's license, it's just a question of how much time needs to pass before you are eligible, at most, it is 10 years.

However, on a 4th DUI conviction, your driver's license will be permanently revoked. Up until a few years ago, you would be eligible for a business purposes only (BPO) license after a period of time. However, that was changed and now a permanent revocation means just that, a permanent revocation of your license.

I am going off-line for the evening. However, please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

ive only had 1 dui in fl but severalothers in az

Thank you for the additional information. Please give me a few minutes to read through all your information again and I'll respond in a bit.

Thank you.

I currently am handling a case here in Florida where my client has only one or two DUI convictions here in Florida. However, he also has a couple convictions in New York. As Florida is claiming the NY laws are "substantially similar" to the laws of Florida, Florida is using the NY convictions to possibly permanently revoke the drivers license of my client.

So, if your "several" out-of-state convictions number at least 3, then adding those to your one Florida conviction would mean a total of four and you would be subject to a permanent license revocation. If your total is anything less than four, then you would still be eligible for a license at some time.

Thank you for your patience.

what about the new law by gov christ allowing the lock system for people with 4 or more dui's
What do you mean by "lock system"?
where you have to blow in a device to sart your car

The current state of the law here in Florida is that, upon a fourth conviction for DUI, you lose your license permanently. As of this moment, there is NO ability to ever get a license again.

The device you're referring to is called an ignition interlock device. It is placed on steering column of a car and requires the driver of the car to blow into it to operate the car. It is required on some first offense DUI's and all 2nd and 3rd offense DUI's. However, it is not some sort of alternative for a person with a permanent revocation to be able to drive lawfully.

what about hb971? thatallows drivers with more than 4 duis to drive?

If it's still something at the legislative level (as indicated by the "HB"), then it is NOT yet law. Candidly, having been an attorney for over a decade (first as a prosecutor and now as a defense attorney), the DUI laws have become MORE strict, not less. I would be surprised if our elected officials reversed years of progressing in the direction of tougher laws on DUI offenses.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
well gov christ signed the law with the backing of madd about a week and a half ago can you check on this
Sure, I'll take a look into it and see what I can find for you. I'll be back with you in a bit.

Ok, here's what I found......

Effective September of this year, a person with a fourth conviction may apply for a license. Here's some important factors about the law:

• You must wait at least 10 years after the last conviction or release from incarceration, whichever is later.
  • You must not have been convicted of any drug offenses for at least the preceding 5 years.
  • You must not have been driving a vehicle for at least the preceding 5 years.
  • You must have completed the required DUI program
  • If approved for a license, you will be permitted to drive for business purposes only for at least one year.
  • You will be supervised by the department and must report in at least 4 times per year
  • If convicted of any offense requiring a permanent revocation, the license will be revoked permanently.