We moved into an apartment that was already infested with bed…

Customer Question
We moved into an apartment...
We moved into an apartment that was already infested with bed bugs. Exterminator told us landlord never had follow up to original treatment before we moved in. We were forced to throw away our bed and live out of plastic bins and garbage bags for a month while second treatment took place. I also have doctor bills and took unnessasary prescription meds for treatment of allergies only to find out it was bedbugs. What are my legal rights for reimbusement of the $1000.00 spent to get this infestation under control??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
You have the right to sue the landlord for the damages due to his failure to meet his obligation under law to treat infestations.
Do I need to prove he was aware of the situation and did not follow through with the treatment before we moved in?? I know I can sue... you can sue for anything these days... what I want to know is if MA law holds the landlord accountable for my damages and suffering from his lack of action and lack of disclosure when we moved in.

Yes you will need to prove that he knew of the problem and failed to meet his obligation. Yes under MA law he is held accountable for failing to make needed repairs and/or keep the property in an inhabitable condition. If he fails do so you may be awarded damages.