Hello, I hired a lawyer a few years back to represent me…

Customer Question
Hello, I hired a lawyer a...

I hired a lawyer a few years back to represent me in real estate matter. However my lawyer pretty much didn't do anything. By the way I was the Plantiff. There was a judgement against me for me to pay the defendants legal fees and I was unaware of it. Is it posible to get the judgement reverse or appealed?

My lawyer is now disbarred and I will be filing a formal complaint with the Florida Bar in order to recoop the money that I paid him.

KDF
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
When was the judgment issued?

I think less than a year ago.

It may be possible but you need to move quickly. You should file an order to show cause in the court where the judgment was issued. You will need to include an affidavit explaining the circumstances of why the judgment occurred, how if the court overturns it is in the interest of justice and you are going to have to provide grounds for an excusable default as well as providing a basis that you are likely to prevail if the case is allowed to proceed on the merits. The Court will have the discretion as to whether to open the judgment or not. However you should be aware that if the attorney had the ability to fight the case, and didn't the Court may decide that you already had an opportunity, and your grounds for relief would be to go after the lawyer, not vacate the judgment.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Thanks!

I will see what I can do. Just found out that my lawyer had a bunch a complaint cases against him. So I will be doing the same(filing complaint with the state). The only thing is going after him may be difficult because he has already been disbarred and he is currently incarcerated.

Good luck. Please don't forget to press ACCEPT. So I can get credit for the answer, I will be happy to, in turn, give you credit for the question as well. Thanks in advance.