I gave a landlord a deposit for a house to hold for me but…

Customer Question
I gave a landlord a...
I gave a landlord a deposit for a house to hold for me but 4 days later i ask for my money back bc he promise to fix the house. He said i cant get my money back even though i didnt sign a lease agreement can he that by law
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

No. The landlord cannot hold your deposit if you did not come to an agreement regarding when you would move in. In addition, even if you had come to an agreement, it appears the landlord is breaching it and you could sue in small claims for the return of your deposit.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.