Hi i am representing myself in a collections case. I have met…

Customer Question
Hi i am representing myself...
Hi i am representing myself in a collections case. I have met with the collections lawyer and turned down a settlement because i feel that here in new ork state the statute of limitations is up. The law clerk gave me two weeks to formulate a letter to the law firm asking them for all of the documentation, and he said to get specific. However he advised it be written in a way that is representitve of a legal document requesting such materials. I need help finding a sample letter or if there is a way you could show me how to format /
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Discovery demands that are written come in two forms generally. One is interrogatories. These are questions that the other side has to answer under oath. The other is document demands. This lists a description of documents that you want the other side to produce.

If you incorporate those into a letter you would want them to answer specific questions and you want them to provide specific documents.

For example. One question would be "When was the last payment made on the account received by the creditor" This request is designed to prove when the statute of limitations started to run which would normally be whenever the next payment was due after the last payment was received.

For documents you might ask for "copies of all billing records that reflect both payments on the account, charges on the account and any interest or other charges accrued on the account." This will get you in document form the history of payments, charges and when the last payment was received.

The first part of the letter would request answers to questions. The second part would request categories of documents such as the account records I described above, correspondence and whatever else you think would be of use.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Does it have to be written in a specific format because they kept stressing the format and how the attornes could have it thrown out. Could you provide a sample of this format.Thank you for the advice and i will be giving very positive feedback.

The interrogatories would have the caption of the case to start. Then you can start with the questions you have. After each question leave a space for the other side to answer. Below are some samples from some interrogatories.

1. Describe all payments made to, or discounts provided to,__________________ by _______________ with respect to any purchases made by ___________ with respect to the House from _______________.

2. With respect to the payments and/or discounts described in the answer to the preceding interrogatory, identify all documents that reflect such payments and/or discounts.

The same format would apply to document demands except that the caption would indicate it is a demand for production of documents. Also, you would not need a space between the document requests.

The interrogatories that I used as an example not only ask questions for information but also ask the other side to identify all documents that reflect the answer they have given. Since all the documents I would want are identified in the answer to the interrogatories, my document demand just asks them to produce all the documents identified in the answers to interrogatories. However, you can just ask for different types of documents. So if you take interrogatory 2 you can make that a document demand as follows: "produce all documents that reflect payments and/or discounts received from _____________."