Is it a privacy/Hipaa violation in the workplace for employees…

Customer Question
Is it a privacy/Hipaa violation...
Is it a privacy/Hipaa violation in the workplace for employees to have access to other employees private and medical information?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
It is a confidentiality issue, generally not a HIPAA issue because employers are usually not medical care providers or insurers. The employer does have a duty under state law to keep medical records confidential and can disclose the information to other employees only when those employees (such as supervisors) have a legitimate business purpose to know the information. When employers require medical documentation from an employee they are supposed to keep it in a separate file from the general personnel files to keep that information private.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Is this issue considered employment law or is it privacy related?

It is privacy related but can come under employment law as well.