my 2 year old daughter was supposed to go to kentucky to visit…

Customer Question
my 2 year old daughter...
my 2 year old daughter was supposed to go to kentucky to visit family for 1 week and than to iowa for 2 weeks with her grandmother (her grandmother live in iowa) im enrolled in the substadized daycare program which you cant have your child out for more than 10 days in a row in one month or you loose your substadized i cant afford to loose it its a great help! everytime my mother in law gets mad about things she says shes going to get a lawyer and take our daughter from us and now she is saying shes getting a lawyer to get grandparents rights is she able to do this? she lives in iowa how would that work when we live in pennsylvania? she tells me it is unfair she only gets a week to spend time with her well i have to look our for the well being of my child and sending a 2 year old away for 3 weeks isnt in the well being of my child and taking a chance at loosing my substadized? like i said its a great help if i didnt have that i wouldnt be able to work there for unable to support her. my daughter is well taken care of never has been a problem ever! what can i do about this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

I need more information to respond to your question

Which side of the family is the grandparent on. Is there a custody order in place ? If so from which State ? Has paternity been established by the father What is or was the relationship of the father to you ? Is the father still alive ? Have the kids spent time with the requesting granparent previously ? If so how much time ?

the grandmother is my husbands mother (so my motehr in law) custody is not in place. my husband and i are goign through a divorce and the divorce papers are said he gets her every wednesday 3-7pm and everyother weekend from 10am-7pm and every other holiday of every other year we are very civil about this all and the rights of him having our daughter those days have not been legally don yet as i said we are going through the divorce now but that is what we are doing every week and everyother weekend we are already going by those "rules" so its not poped up and weird for our daughter to deal with my daughter has spent time with her grandmother before but while my husband and i were there also we went begining of may i believe it was to see the family in kentucky where she spend time with her grandmother but like i said we were there also she has never been away from me (her mother) over night and is ok with being with her dad during the day but shes only 2 and has a hard tiem staying over night there at her dads this can be stressful for any child to deal with let alone a 2 year old who doesnt know what is going on and going away for a week would be really hard i dont want to put her through that and now her grandmother is sayign shes getting a lawyer for rights i dont know what to do.

Grandparent's rights are not automatic. First you need to be divorced before a court will consider them. Second a prior relationship must have existed with the child. A single visit would not necessarily qualify. Third the court must consider the impact on the parent child relationship, and last the court must act in the best interest of the child. Moving a 2 year old out of state is going to be a tough sell.

While it is not impossible for grandma to get visitation, it will require some convincing of a judge if you contest. Until the divorce is final (or separation for greater than 6 months) she can not make a claim.

If this information answered your question please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for the answer.

Comments provided are informational and do not represent legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship has been formed by this communication.