I relocated to California from IL. for a couple of reasons.

Customer Question
One being the stress level...
I relocated to California from IL. for a couple of reasons. One being the stress level of my position was extremely high and the other was my fiance lives here. I decided to give up the stress and move here to seek another position. I have numerous reasons for the stress level being so high, I was a regional manager for the largest Physicla therapy in Illinios and was struggling with professional ethics with one of our regions facility manager. I reported my concerns to the appropiate people and he still was able to keep his job and suffer no consequences, my story is because he was averaging double the amount of patients he should of been seeing. This continued for the past 2 years and I was unable to bring change to the situation. I had a very difficult time communicating with this individual as he was always protected and brought in high revenue for the company. I didn't reveal this to IDES only because I need this companies recommendations for a new position and I don't want to be labled a trouble maker. But I did reveal my frustration in writing through my exit review and should be in my file.I'm looking for advice on how can appeal and if I would have to reveal the "other side of the coin".
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Justice4U, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney
Generally, when you voluntarily leave employment you will not qualify for unemployment. In certain situations, if a person leaves employment for "good cause" they may be eligible. The scenario you describe probably would not meet the "good cause" requirement. You very likely could be asked under oath about your other reason for relocation. There is no down side to appealing. You should consider attempting an appeal. The good cause argument would need to show a compelling reason for leaving employment. For example, illegal billing for services. The fast therapy visits, although potentially an ethical issue, do not rise to a reason forcing you to leave employment.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Thank you for your response. I conducted a detailed audit on this facility manager and the m ore I tried to follow policy and procedures set my corporate the more excuses that were made for him. It was so frustrating to see company expectations set for others but when it came to him, they were overlooked. It was my responsability to ensure all administration operations were completed at it's highest performance and this particular clinic was not even coming close, except the volume of patients. I feel as though because of my willingness to "stand up" and make a change, I was refused my 2009 bonus and a pay raise. I've been with this company for 9 years and always had outstanding reviews until this particular facility was added to my region. I'm so frustrated... I did what's right and I got penalized for it....
I appreciate the additional information. The employer is permitted to waive its own internal audit policies. The waiver of policy requirements as to this particular manager is permissible and probably not "good cause" for your voluntary departure. In the alternative, if the manager was violating the law or endangering patients and the employer refused to intervene this may be good cause.

Thank you

2 weeks before I left, I stumbled on documenting issues again with this person, this time it was workers comp patients... I notified the appropiate managers and nothing was done.... this person was violating law and Insurance regulations, the company tried to fix some of the fraud that took place but all couldn't be ammended... the comment I received was "let's hope we don't get audited".... his license would be in jeopardy if this all came out to the appropiate agencies... I couldn't work like this anymore. The standards that were set by the company were only meant for those who did their job but didn't see 100 patients a week and done in 37.5 hours in that week.

The failure to address the violations of the law are probably good cause to quit for unemployment purposes.

Thank you