is there any thing that i can do in iowa 2 keep a dad who…

Customer Question
is there any thing that...
is there any thing that i can do in iowa 2 keep a "dad" who hasnt seen his child that is 4m old and i have offered several times from having visitation? he has quite a record of violance and wanted me to abort the child so im in fear of him hurting my child
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Is there currently a court order in place for custody/visitation?

we had our mediation and trial is set for july. nothing has been set up yet, i have been looking at moving closer 2 family for support since he nor is family as had any intrest in him. he is the type that has to "win" which is why his temper turns into nocking people out in bars , so in his mind this is him against i and he not thinking about the child at

all

So you have an attorney for the trial in July?
well i have one but feel like it is a situation of ill help u if u help me btwn the 2 attorneys. she moved mediation with less than 24 hr notice w/o asking me because "something came up" with him. i found out it was because he didnt have his children in the middle class done yet after he was contempt of court and give another 20days 2 get done (which he didnt so has 2 appear the 25th and explain why. so i may be switching attorneys due to other things , i feel like i have been doing more that her and im a single mom that cant afford another 5000 for nothing. he alos has a felon record of assults and had/may still have back childsupport from his 9yr old.
The key here is the attorney...the attorney you get will be the one to make sure you get custody.

When the case goes to trial, the judge will hear evidence from both sides. Then, after all the evidence is presented, and the attorneys make their comments, the judge decides the case. The judge will decide his based on one factor and one factor only..."what is best for the child"

Sounds simple, right?

The fight is in the presentation of evidence. From what you describe, you have a good case...if dad is a danger to the child, dad should not be left unsupervised with the child. Period. However, while you may well know dad and why he is danger, the judge knows nothing. SO you have to educate the judge. And you need to follow the rules of court and overcome the objections of the other attorney and you need to keep the other attorney from introducing evidence that is not relevant to the case..so the judge gets the whole picture.

The attorney is very important.

SO you ask what can you do? Get a good attorney and give the attorney the time/information they need to prepare and present the case. IF you do that, then you can get what you want from this.

how do you know if they are going to be good?? i felt really good about this one and after i paid her .. nothing!
Yea, good question. The best way is experience...the good lawyers have experience in front of juries. Lots of it. Find one with at least 50 Jury trials. 500 would be better. Win or loose does not matter...its the experience you gain from a contested jury trial that makes a good lawyer.

soo you think i need experiance over passion? i ask because i am going to talk to a newly working att. but he is also a friend so i feel like he knows more and will fight more on a friend level?!
Yes...but BOTH are important. Heck, I would rate Passion as #2 right behind experience...and passion can go a very long way...so find one with some experience and lots of passion...that can be a good mix