got a ticket for passing on the shoulder when the traffic had…

Customer Question
got a ticket for passing...
got a ticket for passing on the shoulder when the traffic had stopped on the express way just before my furn off should i go to court? been a very long time i have had a ticket
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Unless the ticket misstates the facts or doesn't cite the law correctly, then you will have very little chance of getting a not guilty finding since it is unlawful to do what you did. In addition, if you fight it and lose you will also have to pay court costs. Having said that, it is your right to make the State prove their case, so you could go in and say you didn't do it and they would have to produce evidence that you did.
what about going in to try to drop the points
DMV regulations govern whether or not you get points for particular convictions. So, you will not be able to avoid the points unless you get a not guilty finding. That might be enough incentive to try to fight the ticket.