I am a 50/50 partner in an LLC. We have one employee who happens…

Customer Question
I am a 50/50 partner...
I am a 50/50 partner in an LLC. We have one employee who happens to be the spouse of the other partner. We are all salaried at the same rate. Our labor is subcontracted out but on occasion the employee is required to preform this labor. The other partner (and spouse of the employee) is the check writer an obviously receives financial gain by participating in the practice of paying the employee the additional subcontractor monies in addition to the regular salary. I have addressed this issue and have asked that it not occur, however it continues. We have no provision for this practice in our bylaws.
What action do I need to take to next? Is this a form of theft since financial gain is indirectly taking place?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. what aspect are your questioning?

If the partners are not in agreement shouldn't the payments stop? Is this not a violation of sort of fiduciary responsibilities if you are the check writer? Keep in mind there is also financial gain involved in writing the checks.

Yes, and consideration should be given to dissolving the entity or buying one of the partners out.