My girlfriend signed a pre nup when she was 21 and 6 days before…

Customer Question
My girlfriend signed a pre...
My girlfriend signed a pre nup when she was 21 and 6 days before her wedding. He is a businessman in the town they live in. She was wondering how long and what she has to do to establish residence in another town. She has been married for 19 years, 2 teenage children and is not employed.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/23/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.

In order to file your Complaint for Divorce in Michigan, you must make sure the Judicial Circuit Court has jurisdiction over your case. The most common way spouses are eligible to use a specific court system is by meeting the residency requirements. Meeting the Michigan residency requirements is typically only a concern for a spouse who has recently moved or is planning to move in the near future. The filing requirements are as follows:

A judgment of divorce shall not be granted by a court in this state in an action for divorce unless the complainant or defendant has resided in this state for 180 days immediately preceding the filing of the complaint, the complainant or defendant has resided in the county in which the complaint is filed for 10 days immediately preceding the filing of the complaint.

The divorce is typically filed with in county in which the filing spouse lives. (Michigan Compiled Laws - Section: 552.9)