My brother embezzled over $600,000 from a company we equally…

Customer Question
My brother embezzled over $600,000...
My brother embezzled over $600,000 from a company we equally owned in New York. A week long trail ended on June 23, 2006 with a judgment of $638,000 being rendered against my brother. On June 26, 2006, my brother liquidated his accounts and fled to Palm Coast Florida. On July 3, 2006, he purchased a house in cash and I have been chasing him ever since.

He recently filed for bankruptcy. In his pleading, is layer is not claiming the homestead exemption, instead, is his lawyer is now claiming that since the purchase of the home war more than 1 year after he filed for bankruptcy, his house is protected.

My question is, since the house was acquired with money that was fraudulently transferred to avoid paying this judgment, is his attorney correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: LADYLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer

No. This was an obvious attempt by your brother to hide his assets and can be turned over by the court. Unfortunately, you are going to have to go through another legal battle to do it.

Is your answer directly related to the Florida matter?

While no state that I am aware of would allow this type of fraud, yes, I am a Florida attorney and my answer is directly related to this state.

LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Thanks so much for the bonus--please feel free to come back here at any time to ask more questions at no additional charge. Simply bookmark this page and you will always be able to ask more questions at a later date. Thanks again!