Husband 4 yrs ago, have been paying health insurance in the…

Customer Question
Husband 4 yrs ago, have...
Husband 4 yrs ago, have been paying health insurance in the amount of 440 monthly to maintain benefits now doubled to 786 for same coverage. If husband were alive we'd be paying 200 for health coverage. What changed and why because he died???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Justice4U, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney
Is this an employment benefit? Please explain your insurance situation.

Thank you

Yes from union

The increase in your premiums or the amount you pay for maintaining health insurance will change. You need to contact the insurance company or union benefits administrator to make sure your rates are correct. Insurance costs have increased broadly due to the economy and other factors and this cost is being passed on to consumers. If your rates have increased quickly, it is not clear why. You need to request a copy of your policy including the payment terms from the insurer.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
As I stated in original e-mail if he were alive the rate would be 200 for both of us.
Do you have any information related to a survivor's benefit and increase in rates?

Thank you
I believe the insurance benefit is the same for all retirees, therefore the cost should be the same for surviving spouse as it is for retirees and their spouses. Correct?
Whether the rate remains the same depends on the policy terms. You cannot assume the benefits remain the same. You should speak with the union benefits administrator. You need to determine a widow's benefits. These are not necessarily the same as if your husband was living unfortunately.

Thank you