I am a Financial Advisor. If a company knowingly used my name…

Customer Question
I am a Financial Advisor...
I am a Financial Advisor. If a company knowingly used my name in the signature portion of a letter after I left their employ, is that a violation of SEC or FINRA regulations?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
Please explain with a little more informatioin waht occured. Thanks!

3 days after I resigned from the previous firm, they issued a letter with my name in the signature portion of the letter. The letter stated that as the branch manager, which I was not, I was recommending that another individual had been asked to take my place as their financial advisor.

That's fraud - intentional misrepresentation on their part.

You can actually sue them for fraud although the damages would be strictly punitive and wrongful use of your name without your permission.

To sustain a claim of fraud - each of the nine elements of fraud: (1) a representation; (2) falsity of the representation; (3) materiality of the representation; (4) speaker’s knowledge of the falsity of the representation; (5) the speaker’s intent it should be relied upon; (6) the hearer’s ignorance of the falsity of the representation; (7) the hearer’s reliance on the representation; (8) the hearer’s right to rely on the representation; and (9) the hearer’s consequent and proximate injury caused by reliance on the representation.

Too, the use of your name without approval would be a violation of the SEC and FINRA.

IM-2310-2. Fair Dealing with Customers

(a)(1) Implicit in all member and registered representative relationships with customers and others is the fundamental responsibility for fair dealing. Sales efforts must therefore be undertaken only on a basis that can be judged as being within the ethical standards of the Association's Rules, with particular emphasis on the requirement to deal fairly with the public.

Absolutely they are in violation!!

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.