mom alcoholic, after dad died my sister soured things between…

Customer Question
mom alcoholic, after dad died...
mom alcoholic, after dad died my sister soured things between my mother and meand i believe convinced her to remove me from will... father told me 1/2 of their apt. was my legacy after mom passes. lived w/ them in same building for 35 years we were al very close until father died...Do i have a problem.....can i contest the will???should i get an attorney now...???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 8 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney

Thank your for asking Just Answer,

If your dad left everything to your mom then she can decide in her Will who gets all of the property, regardless of what your dad said. If you believe that your mom was unduly influenced into rewriting her Will to exclude you then the only time you can contest the Will is after she dies.

If you think you are going to contest the Will on the basis that she was incompetent when she signed the new Will or was under undue influence then you should begin accumulating the information you need as proof on your future claim for undue influence.

Of course, your mom can make a new Will that includes you if she is still competent.

what sort of proof would i need? Sister convinced mom not to see or speak to me.....
You would need documented calls and visits detailing her control. As well as others saying they used to deal or see your mom used to see them but she is now secluded and is being controlled by you sister. This is VERY hard to prove.