I am nearly a year into a chapter 13 Bankruptcy and recently…

Customer Question
I am nearly a year...
I am nearly a year into a chapter 13 Bankruptcy and recently recieved a letter from the court regarding my income tax refund
The letter informed me that I am required to send any amount beyond $750.00 to the court
My question is this:
The letter did not specify which year this would pertain to and as I filed and recieved my refund several months back (Feb 2010) I need to know if this is retroactive and affects the 2009 year
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
It affects any refunds received during the course of the bankruptcy.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.
PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

REMINDER: As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

I still have a question about the tax return

As I filed after 1/2 of the year had transpired dose this tie up all of the return?

A large part of the tax return was foe income earned prior to filing bankruptcy

I also decreased the withholding at the time of my filing so there would not be any excess income after that point

My 2010 tax return will probably not result in more than a $100.00 -$200.00 refund

If I am expected to send this excess cash to the bankruptcy court but no longer have it

due to paying legitimate bills (Repairs for car that is covered in the bankruptcy and traffic fines) what should I do now?

It wouldn't matter that it was for income prior to the return, the bankruptcy also deals with debts incurred prior to the return. Anything that is filed after the date of bankruptcy filing falls within the discretion of the Court. As for excess cash, if you have an attorney handling your file you should report what happened to him to get direction from the trustee.
If you are handling it personally you need to let the trustee know, and the sooner the better. You will probably need to do an immediate payment plan.
PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

REMINDER: As your question has been answered, I respectfully request that you click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Even if you left a deposit the only way I am credited with giving you an answer is if you press ACCEPT. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid, we do not receive a salary. You should also note that statistics are kept on accepted answers and seen by adviser, if you do not accept it might affect the likelihood of getting future questions answered.