I have a car loan that i had a freind be a co-signer ( and…

Customer Question
I have a car loan...
I have a car loan that i had a freind be a co-signer ( and we are no longer together) and he signed a paper stating that . but i found out that the contract states him as the purchaser and me as the co-singer .I have made all payments and want to refinace the loan and now he will not sign a release. what are my options.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

You mean a release to have you be the owner of the title?

yes the title
Is he on the title now, or does the finance company hold the title until everything is paid off?
yes , he was suppose to be the co-signer and they put him as the purchaser on the loan and title and i do have a form he signed that states that he was supose to be the co-signer, we purchased vehicle in oregon and i have moved to washington. and now he will not release vehicle as i have made all payments.
What you have to do is to file a PETITION FOR DECLARATORY JUDGMENT with the court. A Declaratory Judgment is a judgment by the Court that interprets confusing situations and contracts and declares the rights, duties, or obligations of said situation. In short, it’s a kind of petition which basically says "Judge, here is what happened, now it’s a mess and not clear, so can you please fill in the blanks for us with what is contractually fair and legally equitable and make everyone bound by it?"Then, well – it's up to the Judge.The good thing is that half the time, when the opposing party gets served or even receives an attorney letter, they either will contact you and offer a compromise or just give up, because people are both (1) afraid of the legal system and (2) do not have the time and money to deal with an issue. I can help you find an attorney if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”