i NEED A LOT OF HELP WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT ACTIONS. ILL…

Customer Question
i NEED A LOT OF...
i NEED A LOT OF HELP WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT ACTIONS. I'LL TRY THE CAR ACCIDENT FIRST. I JUST FILED A SUIT. PRIOR TO THAT, I SENT DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLE FORMS TO THE CALIFORNIA DMV, AND THEY SAID THEY DON'T GIVE OUT ADDRESSES. THE INSURANCE COMPANY HAS ALREADY TOLD ME THEY DON'T GIVE OUT ADDRESSES. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THE ADDRESSES IN THE REMAINING 24 DAYS? I CAN'T HAVE THEM SERVED UNLESS I SERVE THE INSURANCE COMPANY INSTEAD. CAN I DO THAT?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
What can I answer for you?
How do I get the car driver's address and the owners' addresses if the DMV won't give it to me? The way things are going, the 30 day to serve the paper will expire before I get the address. The insurance company also refused to give the address. Can I serve them to insurance company? If I do that, do I also have name the Insurer and agent?
You have not sued yet?
I filed the suit last Thursday. For two years I had been dealing with their insurance company, AAA or Northern California, who put the wrong names on the paperwork, so now I have to file an amendment. But AAA refused to give me the owner's address or the driver's (their daughter's) address, so I don't know where to serve the papers. How can I get the owner's and the daughter's addresses? At the time of the accident, a little more than two years ago, the address the daughter gave me was invalid and I can't serve the papers without their address unless it's acceptable to serve the insurance company like you can serve an attorney in California. How do I get their addresses with the Department of Motor Vehicles not giving it to me?
You can seek th information by subpoena or discovery demand or foil request
How can I seek information by discovery or request? I know the people's names, and the suit is filed, but it has not been served because I don't have their address. I can't send them a discovery document asking their request because I don't know where to send it. What I wanted to know is how to get their address since the DMV won't give it to me. Can I serve them via AAA of Northern California, who is their insurer? How do I get their address? How can I serve them? That's my basic question. Thank you.
You can send a discovery/foil request to the dmv for such information.
Do you live in California? I sent those forms to the DMV and in their written response they told me they didn't give out addesses. Period. It took a month to get the answers which were useless. They even sent my money order back. Any other ideas. Thank you. What is a foil request? As for the discovery request to the DMV, I understand you can't send discovery requests until the parties have been served, and they can't be served until I have their addresses. Catch 22. There has got to be an easier way. Thank you.
I will open the question to a colleague in case he or she has other avenues for you.
Thank you.
no problem.
Did you understand that I still don't know how to get the address of the owner's of the vehicle that hit me? The DMV refuse to give it to me and the insurance company refused to give it to me. I mailed a letter to the address I was given at the time of the accident and it was returned to me. The suit was filed two weeks ago, and I don't have any idea where to serve it on the defendants. Was it clear that's what I've been asking? 1) How do I get the address (subpoena and discovery don't work since the defendants haven't been served) and 2) can I serve the insurance company instead of them like I'd serve a lawyer for a defendant? Thank you.
A colleague may take over from here.