I filed a civil rights complaint in Federal District Court…

Customer Question
I filed a civil rights...
I filed a civil rights complaint in Federal District Court pro se, in forma pauperis.
My complaint was too lengthy and poorly written. It was dismissed without prejudice for failure to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. (before being served on defendants)
The complaint was filed on the last day within the (underlying Virginia) Statute of Limitations.
Can I file a motion for leave to Amend Complaint? If not, what vehicle do i use to refile a more concise pleading? Is the SoL still tolled? I cannot find an answer in the FRCP, but I am untrained, and the answer may be there. Any help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Unfortunately, when a complaint is filed so close to the statute of limitations the dismissal even without prejudice does not toll the statute of limitations and you would have had to have filed the complaint within the appropriate statute of limitations to have had the claim remain viable, which is why it is not in the FRCP. The filing of a complaint which is later dismissed without prejudice tolls the statutory filing period finds little support in the federal courts. It is generally accepted that a dismissal without prejudice leaves the situation the same as if the suit had never been brought, and that in the absence of a statute to the contrary a party cannot deduct from the period of the statute of limitations the time during which the action so dismissed was pending. Bomer v. Ribicoff, 304 F.2d 427 (6th Cir.1962); 5 Moore's Federal Practice p 41.05.

While the limitations period is "tolled" for some purposes upon the filing of a complaint, this notion of tolling is a very limited one. Generally, but for outside influences which may sometimes toll the running of the limitations period (e.g. insanity, minority, etc.) the statute of limitations is not otherwise "interrupted." This is obvious from the doctrine which indicates that dismissals without prejudice operate to leave the parties as if no action had ever been commenced.... If the period of limitations has run by the point of such a dismissal, any new action is generally untimely. Harris v. City of Canton, Ohio, 725 F.2d 371, 376-77 (6th Cir.1984) (citations omitted).

Thus, you would most likely be you of luck here unless you can find some other underlying statute that you can file under.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thanks for the timely answer.
What would be the appropriate way to re-file, absent a S of L bar?
You just file your suit again from the beginning with a new complaint like it had never been filed before.