My husband and I are getting divorced. While we were married…

Customer Question
My husband and I are...
My husband and I are getting divorced. While we were married my husband quit his job to go to shcool full time. When he asked for the divorce, he secured a significant amount of "cost plus" student loans. He also recieved a significant amount of financial help from his parents and sister. ($75,000.) Can his loans be calculated as income for child support calcutaltions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/21/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This falls under what is considered "income" under Florida law. According to Florida child laws, the court will set child support using a formula based on a number of factors, some of which are:
Salary or wages of each spouse
Bonuses, commissions, allowances, and tips
Business income from self-employment, partnership, etc.
All workers’ compensation, social security, disability benefitsAs you can see, they are all geared towards earnings. Since these are loans, they likely will NOT be counted, I'm afraid.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Interest and dividends