Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a speeding ticket 3 months ago and forgot to pay

Customer Question
the fine....
I received a speeding ticket 3 months ago and forgot to pay the fine.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
6/21/2010
Lawyer: NewYorkLaw101, Attorney replied 7 years ago
NewYorkLaw101
NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer
What is your legal question?
I received a speeding ticket on 3/16/2010. I was driving over 90 MPH in 60 MPH Zone.
I was on Business trip in St.Louise MO and was driving a rental car.
I have just received a letter from "Town & Country Municipal Court, MO" stating
Failure to Pay Violation and court date of 01/01/2010.
I have already written a letter to the judge stating that I live outside the state
and it will be difficult for me to attend the court and I plead guilty to traffice violation
and I am willing to pay any applicable fines and cost in full.
My question is:

1) should I attend the court in person (this will be very difficult, because
I work in New York City and I just started a new job and will be difficult
to get time-off)
or
2) Should I hire local lawyer to represent me
or
3) the letter will be sufficent
Okay - you should contact the court and advise that you would pay the fine in full - some jurisdictions allow you to do it over the phone or even on-line - you should do that as they will suspend your license in MO and now, several state DMV are on line to each other and it may cause an issue to the valid license that I assume you now hold - if you are pleading guilty then you should not have to go to court - you don't need a lawyer to just pay the fine - if you cant pay the fine and penalty on line then send a letter - last thing is I am assuming that you have a typo as to the date -since you rcd the ticket in March 2010 and the letter is dated January 2010,
Hope this helps
Have a great day
please remember to press ACCEPT
NewYorkLaw101
NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
The correct court date is 07/01/2010
Okay, I thought that it was a typo -
http://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=2034
check out this link as you may be able to pay your ticket well before the court date
Have a great day
The letter does not give "fine & cost due: but just gives a court date & time, so,
I don't know what the "fine & cost due" is. This is what worries me and that's why
I was asking the 3 questions.
What I suggest that you do is call the Court and they will tell you what the fine is and at the same time you can inquire if you can pay it on line -
I have called them and talked with court clerk, and asked her what the " fine & cost due" was, and she told me that she doesnot know what the "fine & cost due" is,
because the judge will decide it during the my court date of 07/01/2010.
That is why I was asking the questions.
Is your advice still :

you should contact the court and advise that you would pay the fine in full - some jurisdictions allow you to do it over the phone or even on-line - you should do that as they will suspend your license in MO and now, several state DMV are on line to each other and it may cause an issue to the valid license that I assume you now hold - if you are pleading guilty then you should not have to go to court - you don't need a lawyer to just pay the fine - if you cant pay the fine and penalty on line then send a letter
Okay, did you advise them that you would be unable to attend and what happen if you do not attend - did you explain to her that you resided in another jurisdiction and for you to come to MO to appear in court would be a hardship and if they would allow you to plead guilty by letter?
NewYorkLaw101
NewYorkLaw101
NewYorkLaw101, Attorney