Ive created a Limited Liability Co. Operation Agreement with…

Customer Question
I've created a Limited Liability...
I've created a Limited Liability Co. Operation Agreement with 60% of the shares and now need to remove my 40% partner for non-performance. He was to provide the management of the restaurant remodeling along with materials and labor needed and we are three months late opening (and weeks away) as he has never worked for more then 2-3 days a week and mostly weekends as he has priotized his construction co. clients. He also refused to provide 40% of funds needed to continue towards opening as obligated under the Agreement.
Since the Liquor license and tax permits are for this LLC I would like to keep the Corporation going and remove him - can I do this or is my best option to dissolve the LLC and start again?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/21/2010
Lawyer: MShore, Attorney replied 8 years ago
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, if your operating agreement calls for the forced sale or forfeiture of his ownership interest in the company in light of your 60% majority you can force his hand. Otherwise, you will have to negotiate a buy out, or dissolve the LLC.

Thank you.

But my concern is to maintain continuity and not lose the Liquor License and not being liable to compensate him for 40% of the worth of an open Restaurant when he has caused me to be two months behind and damages by not delivering on his part of the Agreement.

Can you read the following sections and let me know if the Agreement allows me to:

1. remove him as a Manager immediately. (sections 4)

2. negotiate a settlement while continuing to open the Restaurant - and ensure that he does not have a claim or interest in the value of the Restaurant once open.

(Section 7.1)His contribution was limited to $40k - is this the most I would have to repay? - even though much work is left to prepare for opening.

<<>>

4.1 MANAGEMENT OF THE BUSINESS. The name and place of residence of each Manager is attached as Exhibit 1 of this Agreement. By a vote of the Members holding a majority of the capital interests in the Company, as set forth in Exhibit 2 as amended from time to time, shall elect so many Managers as the Members determine, but no fewer than one, with one Manager elected by the Members as Chief Executive Manager.

4.2 MEMBERS. The liability of the Members shall be limited as provided under the laws of the Maryland Limited Liability statutes. Members that are not Managers shall take no part whatever in the control, management, direction, or operation of the Company's affairs and shall have no power to bind the Company. The Managers may from time to time seek advice from the Members, but they need not accept such advice, and at all times the Managers shall have the exclusive right to control and manage the Company. No Member shall be

an agent of any other Member of the Company solely by reason of being a Member.

POWERS OF MANAGERS. The Managers are authorized on the Company's behalf to make all decisions as to (a) the sale, development lease or other disposition of the Company's assets; (b) the purchase or other acquisition of other assets of all kinds; (c) the management of all or any part of the Company's assets; (d) the borrowing of money and the granting of security interests in the Company's assets; (e) the pre-payment, refinancing or extension of any loan affecting the Company's assets; (f ) the compromise or release of any of the Company's claims or debts; and, (g) the employment of persons, firms or corporations for the operation and management of the company's business. In the exercise of their management powers, the Managers are authorized to execute and deliver (a) all contracts, conveyances, assignments leases, sub-leases, franchise agreements, licensing agreements, management contracts and maintenance contracts covering or affecting the Company's assets; (b) all checks, drafts and other orders for the payment of the Company's funds; (c) all promissory notes, loans, security agreements and other similar documents; and, (d) all other instruments of any other kind relating to the Company's affairs, whether like or unlike the foregoing.

4.10 MEETINGS. The Members shall meet on the first Wednesday of each month and Managers shall report to them as required at such time. Members present having 51% Capital Contribution shall be considered a quorum for all decisions to be made.

7.1 ASSIGNMENT. If at any time a Member proposes to sell, assign or otherwise dispose of all or any part of his interest in the Company, such Member shall first make a written offer to sell such interest to the other Members at a price determined by mutual agreement. If such other Members decline or fail to elect such interest within thirty (30) days, and if the sale or assignment is made and the Members fail to approve this sale or assignment unanimously then, pursuant to the Maryland Limited Liability statutes, the purchaser or assignee shall have no right to participate in the management of the business and affairs of the Company. The purchaser or assignee shall only be entitled to receive the share of the profits or other compensation by way of income and the return of contributions to which that Member would otherwise be entitled. Any member proposing to sell, assign or otherwise be compensated for all or any part of his interest in the Company within the first 6 months of operation agrees to receive as selling price no more then the maximum of their Capital Contribution amount.

Thank you for the post, the language above does not permit you to remove him as Manager, but you can negotiate a "buy out"/settlement with him and continue to operate the restaurant.