I have been paying my mortgage and my property taxes for many…

Customer Question
I have been paying my...
I have been paying my mortgage and my property taxes for many years, but there was a reassessment in our town and my property taxes have increased from $5,500 a year to $12, 300 a year! I have lived in this home for 30 years, and can only afford to pay about $7,000 a year for property tax. Is there anything I can do?    

Someone told me there is nothing I can do. They told me unless I can show comparables that were sold for less than my appraised value, I will have no recourse. I WILL be appealing and showing some comparables.....but, if they disagree, is there anything I can do to keep my home.   I cannot imagine not living here...it is like my family, and I have put my heart and soul into this house.

I am afraid they may only take a very small amount off if I appeal, and I will still be left with a bill that, if paid, will leave me without money for food, clothing and the care of my two children. Please let me know what I can do, as I said, I CAN pay a modest increase, but the the gigantic one that is way out of my income level. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.Appealing the valuation sure can't hurt.Long term my suggestion is to consider options.A room mate here might be means of additional income.A reverse mortgage would be another means of income here in your final years.You are going to have to do something here long term.Your taxes over time here aren't going down or going away.

Make sure you are getting your deductions and see if there are any more you might qualify for.
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/prntlpt.shtml

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/22/2010 at 1:55 AM EST